Big Slate Media is a Knoxville-based content creation agency specializing in video production. Founded in 2015, we help our partners create content that doesn’t suck by developing authentic, versatile and forward-thinking visual stories.
Artistry, ingenuity, authenticity – we challenge our clients to consider the meaning of these words as they apply to content strategy. We believe these three values lead to engaging and effective campaigns that connect audiences with brands and ultimately foster relationships poised to transcend transactions.
Frankly, we have a deliverables obsession. We know our clients need visual content like the Vols need a win. That’s why we fluff our shot lists, plan beyond the initial deliverable and have developed software that connects our clients with their footage like never before.
We’re a small – but mighty – team working with major brands like Fox Sports, HGTV, RedBull, Bell Flight, The Tennessee Theatre, Company Distilling, KUB, the Knoxville Chamber, Blount Partnership and many others. We’ve even done some drone work on the Netflix docu-series, Bad Vegan. Sure, we work with some big brands, but the majority of our work is for small, community-based businesses and non-profit organizations just trying to move the needle or tell their story.
Our team is growing, and we’re looking for a highly motivated and detail-oriented person to join our team in a full-time position as a Digital Video Content Specialist. Like most job titles, this one is totally made up, but we’ve tried our best to explain what we’re lookin for in the info below:
The gist is this…
First and foremost, we need someone who is fun, creative and gels well with our team and clients. We’re a goofy group, so weirdness is welcomed. Secondly, this person needs to eat, sleep and breathe details and good communication skills. It’s necessary they have experience managing multiple clients at the same time, are organized, and communicate incredibly well both on set and digitally. Finally, we’re looking for a jack of all trades – someone who understands camera operations, editing and photography and what a team needs to be successful in each of those areas. This person will have a minimum of 1 year of experience as a full-time professional in the industry and have advanced knowledge of camera principles (frame rates, shutter speed/angle, ISO, aperture, and how they all relate). Equally as important is the skillset this person posses in the edit bay (we use DaVinci Resolve mostly). While we hope to bring this person onto the big sets on occasion, this position will be part of our run-and-gun team. It’s fast-paced, highly creative and puts you in some really fun events and behind the scenes experiences. It’s so important for this person to have a quick brain (both technically and creatively) and a solid understanding of lighting principles and camera operations since decisions will need to be made accurately and quickly.
So what’s the gig?
- Collaborate with internal and external clients to develop content strategy for marketing purposes on a monthly basis;
- Identify social media trends and content strategies for internal and client use;
- Manage a group of assigned clients to shoot, edit and review content on a monthly basis;
- Serve primarily as Camera Operator or Photographer for RAGtag shoots;
- Serve as 1st Assistant Camera, Grip, Gaffer or Production Assistant for in-studio and on-location productions;
- Perform media transfers and media management for assigned projects;
- Collaborate and complete post production using DaVinci Resolve or required software;
- Maintain in-house media management software;
- Maintain LTO system for video archiving following established guidelines and workflows;
- Continuously discover and implement new editing technologies and the industry’s best practices to maximize efficiency;
- Continually contribute to company growth ideas, client retainment strategies and process improvements
In order to fulfill the responsibilities above at the level we need, you’ll need to have the following:
- 1+ year of experience in video production, video editing, and on-set/in-studio production;
- Have a highly creative mind and be able to think fast on your feet;
- Advanced understanding of camera functions, settings and gear (we use exclusively Sony cameras);
- Proficient in using DaVinci Resolve for editing;
- Advanced understanding of other industry tools like Adobe Creative Cloud, Mac OS and Google Drive;
- Professional yet approachable demeanor with great written and verbal client-facing skills;
- Posses strong interpersonal skills like empathy, communication, problem-solving, responsibility and dependability;
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive salary based on experience;
- Shared cost on health, vision and dental insurance
- Paid vacation, holidays & quarterly mental health day
- Paid continuing education and conferences
- Opportunity to pitch passion projects for the team to complete together
- Occasional travel for client shoots or events
- Opportunity to earn commission on leads you bring
- Availability of gear and studio space for personal use
- Free beer and liquor… yes we have a kegerator and fully stocked bar in the office because we’re basically Google with a Mad Men twist *consumed responsibly
- Relaxed, casual work environment
- Stamper, the office dog and the goodest boy around (or the “Best Boy” in the production world)
To apply, please send your resume and reel to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Digital Video Content Specialist Applicant”. Feel free to say hey and tell us a little about yourself and why you’re interested in the job (kinda an informal cover letter). Oh, and be sure to include a link to the best Tiktok you’ve seen. We love TikToks (IG Reels count too, I guess).