Big Slate Media is a Knoxville-based content creation agency specializing in video production. Founded in 2015, we help our partners create content that doesn’t suck by developing authentic, versatile and forward-thinking visual stories.
Artistry, ingenuity, authenticity – we challenge our clients to consider the meaning of these words as they apply to content strategy. We believe these three values lead to engaging and effective campaigns that connect audiences with brands and ultimately foster relationships poised to transcend transactions.
Frankly, we have a deliverables obsession. We know our clients need visual content like the Vols need a win. That’s why we fluff our shot lists, plan beyond the initial deliverable and have developed software that connects our clients with their footage like never before.
We’re a small – but mighty – team working with major brands like Fox Sports, Discovery, RedBull, Clayton Homes, The Tennessee Theatre, The University of Tennessee, Company Distilling, KUB, the Knoxville Chamber, Blount Partnership and many others. Sure, we work with some big brands, but the majority of our work is for small, community-based businesses and non-profit organizations just trying to move the needle or tell their story.
Our team is growing and we’re looking for a highly motivated and detail-oriented person to join our team in a full-time position as a Videographer + Editor.
The gist is this…
First and foremost, we need someone who is fun, creative and gels well with our team and clients. We’re a goofy group, so weirdness is welcomed. Secondly, this person needs to eat, sleep and breathe details and good communication. It’s necessary they have experience managing multiple clients at the same time, are organized, and communicate incredibly well both on set and digitally. Finally, we’re looking for a jack of all trades – someone who understands camera operations, editing and photography and what a team needs to be successful in each of those areas. This person will have a minimum of 2 years of experience as a full-time professional in the industry and have advanced knowledge of camera systems and various NLE’s (we use DaVinci Resolve mostly). While we expect exceptional skill behind a camera, this position will lean heavily into post production and media management. The beauty of this position is that no day is the same – you may be on set for a brand shoot for 12 hours or locked in at your desk crankin’ out edits.
So what’s the gig?
- Supervise, monitor and adapt to the strategic plan of each project;
- Collaborate with the Producer and Creative Director to develop concepts;
- Serve primarily as Director of Photography, 1st Assistant Camera, or Camera Operator for in-studio and on-location productions;
- Perform media transfers and media management for assigned projects;
- Collaborate and complete post production using DaVinci Resolve (as this is our primary NLE) or any other required software;
- Maintain in-house media management software;
- Maintain LTO system for video archiving following established guidelines and workflows;
- Continuously discover and implement new editing technologies and the industry’s best practices to maximize efficiency;
- Continually contribute to company growth ideas, client retainment strategies and process improvements;
In order to fulfill the responsibilities above at the level we need, you’ll need to have the following:
- 2+ years of experience in video production, video editing, and on-set/in-studio production;
- Advanced understanding of camera functions, settings and gear (we use exclusively Sony cameras);
- Advanced understanding of DaVinci Resolve;
- Advanced understanding of other industry tools like Adobe Creative Cloud, Mac OS and Google Drive;
- Professional yet approachable demeanor with great written and verbal client-facing skills;
- Possess strong interpersonal skills like empathy, communication, problem-solving, responsibility and dependability;
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive salary based on experience;
- Shared cost on health, vision and dental insurance;
- Paid vacation, holidays & a quarterly mental health day;
- Paid continuing education and conferences;
- Opportunity to pitch passion projects for the team to complete together;
- Occasional travel for client shoots or events;
- Opportunity to earn commission on leads you bring;
- Availability of gear and studio space for personal use;
- Free beer… yes we have a kegerator in the office because we’re basically Google;
- Relaxed, casual work environment;
- Stamper, the office dog and the goodest boy around (or the “Best Boy” in the production world);
To apply, please send your resume and reel to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Videographer + Editor Applicant”. Feel free to say hey and tell us a little about yourself and why you’re interested in the job (kinda an informal cover letter). Oh, and be sure to include your favorite “dad joke.” We love dad jokes.